Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Go back into the water.

Pill bugs. I don't know why, but pill bugs. Maybe it's not explicitly a "fear," but I have an extreme aversion to them which extends into complete unwillingness to condone their presence. I am uncomfortable so long as they are within my sight or there is the possibility of physical contact.

Other people think they're cute, and actually play with them, prodding them until they roll up into little grey bundles. I would gladly welcome the power to remain indifferent. But then again, other people fear spiders while I enjoy arachnid company.

That's the thing, isn't it? Spiders are arachnids. They are meant to dwell on land and in dusty corners, among us humans. Pill bugs are crustaceans. They belong in the sea, and they know it, so I wish they'd end this little charade. On land they are grotesquely smooth and soft and wet, like little ambulatory boils wriggling through rot and crawling concealed through damp decay.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Isis. Your description of these bugs literally made me laugh out loud. Sorry you don't like them! (I don't like spiders!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww! You've made me grossed out by them too! :) Just the thought of their slimy, writhing bodies makes me cringe.
    I've never heard of anyone afraid of pill bugs before. Way to tell us all about your unusual fear. That's not always easy to do. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ew Isis why do you like to be around spiders??? They're gross! I agree with you, though- pill bugs are pretty repulsive also! I wish bugs would just go away sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say I've ever seen a pill bug, but your descriptions made me laugh.
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no clue what pill bugs are, but it sounds like you are pretty disrupted by their presence. I don't think spiders are all that bad either, personally, but nice description of your fear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im totally with Peter on this one. I have no idea what a pill bug is but I guess they are pretty terrifying. I realize that your aversion to these creatures is quite profound but I would love it if you could show me what they look like. :)

    ReplyDelete